Selecting Your Subjects
In consultation with your Parents/Caregivers and teachers you will need to select your subjects for the 2018 School Year using the subject selection page – see Page 31 in the 2018 PVIS Year 11 Subject Selection Handbook.
There are many steps to complete in this process, and an end of Term 3 deadline to be aware of.
Give yourself time to think about what subject you need to do for your pathways, what subjects would be advantageous and what subjects you would like to do.
The recommended steps for completing your subject selection are:
- Think about and research your post-PVIS pathway. For example, do you want to go to University? If so what broad course areas? While it is perfectly normal to have several possibilities, or one definite or no idea, it is worth thinking about this as many university courses have prerequisites or assumed knowledge.
- The University prerequisites and assumed knowledge should guide your subject selection for Stage 2, for example, if you want to enrol in Marine Biology, Stage 2 Biology, Earth and Environmental Science, Chemistry and Maths would be wise choices.
- You can determine what would be the best preparation and required prerequisites for these Stage 2 subjects in Stage 1 by using the Stage 2 Subject Prerequisites on page 30.
- If you are unable to decide on a pathway, the best advice is to keep your options open.
- Talk to your parents, teachers about possible courses, they may be able to offer advice, guidance or recommendations for you.
- You will need to complete the subject selection form, including a parent/caregiver comment. You are required to select a full year subject OR two semester subjects for each line. This form is essential for your subject selection interview.
- Your subject selection interview will be a meeting to discuss and finalise your subject choices for Year 11 in 2018. While there may be some room to move if you change your mind, be aware that any changes may not be able to be accommodated.